1. The action of throwing something up in the air, such as a ball, or any thing or action directly or indirectly associated with this, such as the action of throwing up your hands or arms as a gesture of 'giving up'.
As a Verb or Adjective
1. To stop doing or having something. English = give up.
2. To admit that you cannot do something and stop trying to do it. English = give up.
3. To admit that you are defeated or cannot do something. English = give up, give in, surrender. Formal English = yield.
4. Especially of older people, to leave a job and usually to stop working altogether. English = retire.