Keywords: sign language, sign (sign language), meaning, significance, mean (signify), signify
As a Noun
1. A language which is made and communicated by using visual-gestural signs. English = sign language, sign.
2. The thing that a single unit of a language (word or sign) or a whole expression refers to or expresses. Often this 'thing' is just other words and signs, rather than something you can point at. English = meaning, significance.
3. A single visual-gestural unit of a sign language. English = sign.
As a Verb or Adjective
1. To communicate with someone using a sign language. English = sign.
2. Of a unit of language (word or sign) or a whole expression, to refer to a thing or idea or express something. English = mean. Formal English = signify.
3. To intend to communicate a particular message. English = mean.
1. Used at the beginning of a sentence to mean that you are about to explain something again more clearly or to justify something you have said. English = I mean..., What I mean is....