Keywords: stay, remain, still, motionless, freeze, abide, freezing, stop dead
As a Noun
1. The act of continuing to be somewhere without moving away.
2. The act of being in a place, not moving away, and not moving at all.
3. The act of suddenly stopping any movement and remaining still in one place. Idiomatic English = freezing.
As a Verb or Adjective
1. To continue to be somewhere and not move away. English = stay, remain. Idiomatic English = stay put.
2. To be in a place, not move away, and not move at all. English = keep still, (be) still, (be) motionless.
3. To suddenly stop moving and remain still in one place. Idiomatic English = stop dead, freeze.
4. To continue to happen or exist for a long time. Formal (religious) English = abide.
1. Used alone to tell someone not to move or to leave a place. English = 'Stay there!', 'Don't move!', 'Keep still!' and so on.