Keywords: excuse, excuse me
As a Noun
1. A reason which you give in order to explain why something has been done, has not been done, or will not be done. English = excuse.
As a Verb or Adjective
1. To let someone free of a duty or responsibility. English = excuse.
2. To explain why you have done something wrong in an attempt to make yourself seem less bad. English = excuse yourself, make excuses.
1. Used alone to indicate to your addressee that you have to suddenly break the communication with them and leave or direct your attention elsewhere to someone else. English = 'If you'll excuse me...'
2. Used alone to indicate to people that you are aware you are causing some interference to them as you squeeze past them in a crowded place or if you walk between them and the people they are talking to. English = 'Excuse me!'