As a Noun
1. The thing that a single unit of a language (word or sign) or a whole expression refers to or expresses. Often this 'thing' is just other words and signs, rather than something you can point at. English = meaning, significance.
2. The study of the meaning of words, signs, and sentences. English = semantics.
As a Verb or Adjective
1. Of a unit of language (word or sign) or a whole expression, to refer to a thing or idea or express something. English = mean. Formal English = signify.
2. In the area of language, anything that relates to meaning. English = semantic.
1. This sign, borrowed from BSL, is used by some Australian sign language researchers as the technical sign for ‘meaning’, i.e., semantics. It is not the every day sign for ‘mean’ in Auslan.