1. To gain complete control or victory over other people, through sheer numbers or because of superior strength. English = overwhelm.
2. To win a victory over someone in a battle, game, or contest; to win completely or very convincingly. English = defeat; thrash.
3. To treat someone or a group of people cruelly or unfairly. English = oppress.
4. Of an army or a government, to prevent something from continuing; to keep someone or a group of people under your control. English = suppress; subjugate. Idiomatic English = put down.
5. To criticise someone and make them look foolish. Idiomatic English = put down.
6. To try and persuade or force someone to do something. English = pressure.