1. To make sure that something is satisfactory, safe, or correct. English = check, test, trial.
2. To test something in order to find out how useful or effective it is. English = try out, check out.
3. To make a judgement about the quality of a student’s work. English = assess.
4. To have a doctor examine you to see if your health is all right. English = have a check-up.
5. Of an action or situation, to happen or be set up to see what effect it has in order to test a hypothesis. English = (be) experimental.