Keywords: strictness, sternness, stoicism, strict, tough, stoic, toughen
As a Noun
1. The quality of insisting on polite and obedient behaviour, especially from children; or being unsympathetic and inflexible and insisting people follow whatever the rules are. English = strictness, sternness.
2. The strength of character and will that makes a person able to tolerate a lot of pain or hardship, especially without complaint. English = stoicism.
3. The quality of meat that is difficult to cut and chew. English = toughness.
As a Verb or Adjective
1. To insist on polite and obedient behaviour, especially from children; or to insist on people following rules which are difficult. English = (be) strict; (be) tough.
2. To have a strong, independent character and be able to tolerate a lot of pain or hardship. English = (be) tough, (be) stoic.
3. (When talking of meat), to be difficult to cut and chew. English = (be) tough.
4. To make something firm or hard. English = toughen.